The role of analytics is to take the data visualization to its basis level, to intuitively run hypothetical or data driven analysis. According to Wikipedia Treemapping is a method for displaying hierarchical data by using nested rectangles.
In the image below the proposition of the metrics based by importance are aligned by size variations & the colors are used to emphasis the values of propositions.
But the data of Google Adwords in GA at Treemap are represented only by the different intensities of Green & Red and no other colors are used.
Tree Mapping makes the data visualization easier by allotting rectangular colorful graph for all the branches or fixed or changing variables; and the size & color aspect is triggered by the different aspects of data. Treemaps in totality a hypothesis generation tool as they represent the importance and helps in establishing relationships between different variables, components & entities.
The Google’s Universal Analytics have made it’s tool a great success by integrating usability with data analysis. Google Analytics is taking the visualization ahead from Real time data analysis & In-page analytics by launching Treemaps analytics; currently this is in Beat phase & can be viewed at: Acquisition > Adwords > Treemaps.
You may also like to know more about cohort analysis at Google Analytics.
Google Analytics Treemap basically reflects data of Google Adwords campaigns for analysis. You can formulate your rectangles by these 2 metrics:
How to read Google Analytics TreeMap display?
1. The size of rectangle demonstrates the volume of primary metric that you selected.
2. Green to Red combination represents the secondary metrics you have selected from the account.
3 .These color combination represents the worth of the metrics you have selected. Moving from Green to Red represents you are moving from Good to bad. (Green=Good; Red=Bad).
Click To Enlarge
1. Google Analytics Primary Metric– Primary metrics are volume metrics, and are represented by rectangle size.
- Clicks: Clicks, Cost, Impressions
- E-commerce: Revenue, Transactions
- Site Usage: Goal Completions
- Summary: Goal Value, New Users
2. Google Analytics Secondary Metric-Secondary metrics are relative metrics, and are represented by color and saturation. Green is positive, and red is negative. The darker the green, the better the secondary metric, and the darker the red, the worse the secondary metric.
- Clicks: CPC (cost-per-click), CTR (click-through-rate), ROAS (Return-on-ad-spend), RPC (Revenue-per-click)
- Ecommerce: Average Order Value, E-commerce Conversion Rate, Per Session Value
- Site Usage: % New Sessions, Avg. Session Duration, Bounce Rate, Pages/Session
- Summary: Goal Conversion Rate
What are the Limitations of Google Analytics Treemap?
1. Prior to run this report make sure that Google Adwords & Analytics accounts are linked together. GA only stores the Adwords data when the linking properties are ON
2. The metric’s color combinations are fixed and not subject to any change, which means it cannot be customized as per convenience.
3. Google Analytics Treemap will only represent 15 entities & rest will be coined as other. For example if your Adwords accounts have 25 campaigns then TreeMap will only propagate 15 rectangles & 5 remaining will be clubbed as Other.
4. Google Analytics Treemap will be only web-based reports; which means will not have any mobile or WAP views.
- How to Outreach with Effective long tail search strategy ?
- 10 Extraordinary Landing Pages Tweaks for amazing conversions